A Letter to You

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Holiday Traditions

Life just keeps on going day by day whether I'm ready for it or not. The sun rises when my body is not yet rested. The sun goes down when I am not yet ready to end my day. Day after day after day. I really dislike how short the days feel this time of year! But I am excited for my absolutely most favorite holiday of the year! Yes, that would be Christmas!

We keep it simple around here. My almost-3-year-old doesn't expect much and my 18-month-old probably doesn't even remember last year's! We're trying to  start traditions now to keep things simple in the future! At this age, my boys are more interested in unwrapping everything then actually receiving gifts. I love the simplicity of children. I could wrap empty boxes and they would be thrilled! Hm. Maybe I will...

drapertemple 009 I also make cheese balls and share them with our friends and neighbors! If you're really lucky, maybe I'll share the recipe! :D  My mom made them every year and it's something I always looked forward to. Now, I do the same and my husband looks forward to them!

My husband's birthday is on the 23rd of December and Monkey Man's is on the 28th! It's an exceptionally busy month!

What are  some traditions you have for the holidays?

4 comments:

Emmy said...

Oh please share! I LOVE LOVE LOVE cheese.

My favorite traditions are our Christmas Eve traditions. We drink either egg nog or hot chocolate and make gingerbread houses, usually made with graham crackers and lots of candy. Then we lite a fire in the fire place and sit around it while Eric tells us the Christmas story. It really is magical. The kids also open one present, their Christmas pajamas that they wear to bed that evening.

Lourie said...

Our traditions are very similar to Emmy's. We make cookies on Christmas Eve: three kinds. We each unwrap one gift and then we read How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Twas the Night Before Christmas and then from Luke. We leave cookies and carrots for Santa and the reindeer.

My MIL's b-day is also the 23rd. And my SIL is the 11th.

Nai said...

As a kid all of my neighbors use to get together, sing carols and string popcorn to decorate the neighbors tree in the backyard (Yay for feeding the birds) and and then have a tree lighting ceremony.

Nowadays, we have an ornament tradition, where we get or make an ornament each year to highlight our greatest memory/achievement. And we have ornaments for each person in the family so our tree actually tells our story.. as it unfolds.

I am still trying out other traditions, last year we did gingerbread houses and men... this year... hmmmm.

Cassidy said...

On the 23rd, we go a get a bale of straw, and on Christmas eve, we spread it out all over the dining room floor and under the table. That night, after our christmas eve dinner of chili and cornbread, we all snggle up with blankets under the table, and tell the story of a man and a woman and their very special son, born in a manger.... We love it, and it leaves a fun mess for days!