A Letter to You

Friday, January 29, 2010

If you don’t look, you won’t see it.

I’ve mentioned I’ve been trying to get out of the house, and yesterday was the day to do it!  Monkey was already in his 2nd outfit of the day because he spilled his milk all over himself, my boys were dressed and ready to get out the door! I was figuring out details with a friend on the phone and turned the corner into the kitchen and found this:

28jan 010 28jan 051 28jan 092 28jan 090

I swear to you I was not on the phone for more than 15 minutes, of which maybe the last 3 my kids were much too quiet…

What would you have done? Freaked out? Yelled? Cried? Laughed? Get our your camera and document it?

It wasn’t all of my flour so there was no reason to cry. All plans put on hold, I let them play. I got down and my knees got dirty, but it was not worth using my energy to be angry. My little one was just having way too much fun…

28jan 059 28jan 039 28jan 013

Yes, we did eventually get out of the house… an hour later than planned.  But I’m telling you, there are not many times when I know I have handled a situation in a way I know my Heavenly Father would proud of... but this was one of those times.

At first I saw a mess. But when I took a moment to “see”, I saw an opportunity. I believe that we see what we want to see. We have thought patterns that determine so much of what we do, say and how we react! But these are only thoughts, and thoughts can be changed.

I think we want to cherish the moments in our children’s childhood, but if we don’t look we wont see them.

28jan 018

I used a dry rag to gather up the flour, scooped what I could into a bowl and threw it out. Vacuumed up what was left with the attachment that looks like a brush. DONE.

9 comments:

Emmy said...

Good for you!!! And the pictures were so worth it. It does feel good when we actually handle things the way we really should.

Lourie said...

I would have freaked, laughed...well pretty much everything you listed. I don't know that I could have maintained such composure. Good for you! And they had a blast.

Crafty Mommy Diva said...

what an awesome thing to remember - it's hard to do sometimes, but I sure try

Scott, Tina, Spencer and Morgan said...

wow, i'm amazed that you kept your cool. i would've freaked out and yelled for sure!

Brittany said...

oH WOW ... I LOVE IT!!! GOOD FOR YOU FOR KEEPING COOL!!!
BTW... WE TOTALLY STILL NEED TO GET TOGETHER!!!

Leilani said...

While I understand that it was a fun opportunity to play with flour on the floor and watch the boys have fun and a pretty cool way to handle the situation; did they get reprimanded for doing it without permission? I'm just curious.

Xazmin said...

Oh no!!! But yay for you! It reminds me of when my daughter "flocked the dog" with flour!

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures!

kanaboke said...

Yaaaay for you Momma Alicia! With so many people I know suddenly losing their little ones, I'm sure they never look back and say, "Oh I wish I would've screamed and ranted that day!" I'm sure you disciplined them too, but way to sieze the moment and create some fun memories!!

Debbie Corbari said...

Wow...this is my first time at your blog and I came across this post. Your boys are adorable but what impressed me most is that you did the exact opposite of what I would've done in this situation! It was so refreshing to read! Thanks!!