A Letter to You

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Why I Blog...

I know this question has been on your mind, and you're just dying to know Why I Blog... (no?!). Well... I'm gonna tell ya anyway, mmkay? Trisha, over at MomDot.com (if you're not involved there, you're missing out!),  threw that question out into the universe, and it really got me thinking. Why do I blog?

It all started when we moved away from most of our friends and family, so I started a family blog to keep those who cared updated. I kept up with that blog for over a year... and realized that after I had my 2nd baby, the tone of my blog changed. The chaos of adjusting to two boys under 17 months was... entertaining. I was able to "work through'" the emotional struggles of day-to-day living as a Stay at Home Mommy, through - you guessed it - blogging! I was able to find humor in the chaos and found a network of friendships with other mothers going through very similar ordeals, or at least they became my e-support group and reassured me  I was not losing my mind... completely.

It got to the point that I wanted to make our family blog private. I had come across too many dangerous internet stories for my peace of mind (most of which, did not have to do with blogging, but scary all the same). My blog had become my friend. Okay... it became a means by which I was able to have a social life even though I spent most of the day home with my boys. I didn't want those who enjoyed by blog to miss out... so - I created another one.

I'll be the first to admit that balancing two blogs was at first confusing. And sometimes the posts are duplicated in both. But mostly my family "journaling" is done on the other one, and this one is the one I use for me. The one I use to connect and network with other women. This one is now my support group.

The tone of my blog  changed yet again. Maybe it's because I change... I'm not sure. The purpose of this blog is not neccessarily to entertain... because, if I'm completely honest with myself... I'm really not that funny. But I like to laugh.

Anyway...! People actually started reading my blog! I loved getting responses from others about the things I had to say. I can't identify it exactly, but it was rewarding. My "Unique Visit" count has slowly but surely increased, and that is freaking cool.

I don't claim to be knowledgeable, and don't have any great tutorials of my own, I'm just me. I say what I think and I share what I like.

But here's the deal.

I spend way too much time blogging.

Especially to be doing it for free.

So change is coming.

Just. Around. the Corner!

And I think you'll like it. At least, I hope you do.

To answer the question, Why Do I "Blog"?:

  • I blog because I have stuff on my mind that I know my DH wont appreciate like ya'll do - and I need. to. get. it out.
  • I am able to effectively keep in touch with the many friends that we've made through the years!
  • It rewarding to know that people actually care what I have to say, and I don't even have to force them to listen to me... *ahem*. 
  • I love technology. I enjoy (digitally) designing stuff... so this is right up my alley!
  • I learn a lot. I am actually becoming some sort of "crafty" because I've found amazing tutorials for things I actually use! And I have a mental list of things I would like to learn... it's good for my mental health.
  • Um... and now I will add to my list, I blog because I want to make money. Is that bad? Haha... no. I don't think so. You'll see.

Anywho! Why Do You Blog?! I really want to know. Leave me a comment, and I will for sure come hear what you have to say!

signaturepink

No comments: